Sunday, June 03, 2007

Celebrate Killeen 5K

Happy Birthday Killeen... 125 years, and you're still one of the smallest towns (but full of people) in Central Texas. This was a last minute entry for us. We decided we needed a race this weekend, and there just happen to be one.

So, up at 5am... bagels, a bit of coffee, and off to pick up our packets. I was exhausted. I couldn't sleep that night, but it was only 3.1 miles... so, I went anyway.

We got there about 6:15am. There weren't many people, and that wouldn't exactly change. I'd say about 150-175 people showed up. Many of the same faces from the Jackrabbit 10K.

About 7am, the rain started... and so, the race didn't start until about 15 minutes later. But, the rain continued. It was a nice drizzle though... nothing hindering. After a short decline, we started a slow incline. Many people that had taken off fast downhill, hit a wall on the uphill. Husband and I took it all in stride. Despite the wet ground (clothes, face, and feet) traction wasn't impared much on the road. After what would be the only hill, another decline. We hit this running hard. At some points on my iPod, my pace read at about 6'30" per mile... nice. I was feeling good. Then, we went through the park... sidewalk. Not as much traction. There was a lot of mud in the path, and water puddles. We slowed a bit. We hit the two mile point at 13'42". We were rolling... however, the course was about 250 meters short. Maybe more. I ended with a time of 20'56". I was happy with it, though. We ran a hard race... and I felt good afterwards with my 1st place age category plaque. 2nd place was the same girl from the Jackrabbit 10K. Husband probably would have placed, but he likes to run with me. The rain didn't stop until about 8:15am, as we sat around waiting for the results. I won a raffle... two free t-shirts and rodeo tickets for that night. I gave the tickets to the 2nd place girl... she has kids. They didn't have anyone taking pictures... so below is all I have. Anyway, that's that!


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job! One day I'll be running with you too... one day... LOL

George and Dan said...

Awesome job!!! You have been my inspiration to get back into running!