Monday, May 14, 2007

Should I smile more?

Today, at the gym, I noticed some weird handle things lying in between machines. I stared at them for a while, trying to figure out what they were as I finished three sets of back extensions ( if that's what they are called). I thought about trying them out, but I hate testing exercises at the gym. I feel silly.

I didn't see anyone use them. Then, a person nearly tripped on them. And, I thought, this could end badly. So, being the responsible gym member I am, I decided to scoot them out of harms way. As I did this I looked up. Now, I don't always control my facial expressions. I'm at the gym, I'm sweaty, I don't have make up on, and I'm not expecting people to be looking at me. So, I looked up as I moved the handle things, and I sort of gave a "look" to some "trainer" (I use the annoying quotation marks because I don't know what look I gave, she doesn't look like a trainer). I knew as soon as I looked at her she was going to assume I was giving her a dirty look.

So, I went on my merry way to the water fountain... made my way back to the weight area.

"Why did you move my equipment?" She asked, in a rather nasty tone.

"I didn't see anyone using them, and someone could trip," I replied... trying not to sound hostile.

"We are circuit training and people can just walk around them," even snottier (word, it should be because it defines her attitude).

"Like I said, someone could trip and get hurt," I replied, still as not cranky as possible.

Then, she wanted to re-enact the event... what I did, the look I gave her, and her actions. I was thinking, what the f**k are you doing lady. She's stomping around the gym floor saying, "look, this is what you did, and you looked at me like this..."

People are starting to stare at her, and some guy is laughing at my expression. I remind myself to control my face because I know I tend to look angry without meaning it.

So, just to get this lady to shut up, "The look is your imagination," I said, "I just don't want anyone to get hurt."

It was a bizarre exchange of words. This woman must be in her late 30s and she's concerned herself with what look is in my eyes.

BIZARRE.

So, later, as if I needed to talk about it more, this guy that was laughing earlier, said, "I thought you were going to punch her."

"Really?? Why? Why would I do that?" I exclaimed.

"You looked pissed. You always look pissed," he said. I have seem him around the gym quite a bit.

"I'm not mad at the gym... just focused I guess." I said.

"Well, maybe you should smile more," he said. He seems pleased with this solution.

4 comments:

Stuart said...

Yugh, gym bitches, gotta hate them, next time just "smile" as you drop 35lbs on her foot.

mist1 said...

I try to smile when I cut people off in traffic. I think it probably makes them feel better about it.

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness! NOW I know why I don't go to the gym! Thanks! :)

Anonymous said...

you expect people to be remotely intelligent + pleasant in Killeen? that is an infinitely high hope.