Saturday, May 05, 2007

Jackrabbit Run 4 Hope

Ahh yes...race day. Here is my report:

Copperas Cove, TX- 73 degrees, cloudy, and humid as hell. It was great running weather.

Distance: 10K (6.2 miles)

Finishing Time: 51'13"

Placed: 1st (female, age group 25-29).

Report:
It was awesome. Matt (pulled a hamstring and couldn't run) and I drove the route the night before to size it up. There was a nice decline at the start, that lead into a steep hill (about 1K long)... Many people passed me up at the gun... but, I caught them because they burned themselves down that first hill. I was one of very few that managed to make it up the very hard climb without walking. I just kept it up as well as I could. I hit 1 mile just under 8 minutes... Mile 2 was more difficult. After that hill, we were atop a nice plateau so most of the next 3 miles was flat. I tried to keep my pace around 8 minutes... and I managed. A young girl (about 15), and an older man (about 60) were right with me through the flat parts of the run. Around mile 4, I grabbed some water, and took a bit in through my wind wipe, causing some choking. I didn't stop; I caught my breath and kept on. However, the runners I stayed with most of the run managed to get some distance between us. In the last kilometer or so there was a very big decline. It was hard pounding down the hill. It hurt! A much lighter woman passed me coming down. I hit the bottom, saw the finish line, and gave it everything I had left over. Boy was I tired.

It was nice to complete that run, and see my time as the winner in my age group. I was only a few minutes behind the overall female at 47'50"... which, ironically, is close to my PB for the 10K (no hills involved).

Now, I just need to work on my hill attack!
Here are some photos courtesy of Matthew.

Coming down the first stretch of road... mile 1

Rounding the first turn... sizing up the competition.

Coming down the last hill...

Heading toward the finish line!

Finally done... dripping wet! It was so humid.

Receiving a medal for 1st place.


and, back at home with my Zora... time for a nap.

1 comment:

Stuart said...

Nice run, nice report and a medal to boot, good effort...see it's not that hard, (easy for me to say) ;-)