Saturday, October 07, 2006

Cast Away

Since I am an extremely happening gal, I was livin' it up on my couch last night with the longest movie of all time, Cast Away. It's on TNT three nights in a row. I guess TNT doesn't realize I'm going to be on my couch for those three nights... in a row... and could use a little something else. Anyway, not the point.

Cast Away... what a grand movie. I saw it, of course, years ago when it came out, but now it's entire theme has different implications. Chuck Noland, Tom Hanks' character, tells his best girl, Kelly (played by Helen Hunt), "I'll be right back." Not only that, he gives her a ring... well, we never really find out what is in that box, but one can only assume it is a ring... and that she'd have said, "Yes," if asked the "Big Question." Foreshadowing at its best.

Matt said that to me... in so many words, "It's only a year, and then I'll be back." The year does come upon me shortly, but we are not out of the woods just yet, and I cannot help but apply the scenario.

Anyway, so Chuck stayed alive. He survived countless injuries, thoughts of suicide, insanity (no doubt), solitude, a sore tooth, and surely less than perfect hygiene. He stayed alive to get back to his girl, Kelly. She kept him alive. This mimics the way many Soldiers get married just before leaving for War. So that someone is waiting. I don't know how single Soldiers do it, and this is all part of the reason there is much pressure for officers to get married. So, they have someone at home, and the job isn't everything, among other reasons.

Many Soldiers endure the previously listed hardships... also. But not for 4 years, and the solitude isn't as severe.

Anyway... Chuck returns from 4 years on a deserted island, looking great (especially considering), and Kelly has appeared to have moved on. She's married, has a daughter, and even cut her hair. But, she still loves him... desperately.

Since I am a romantic (or maybe just self-proclaimed tragedy addict), I can apply almost any love story to my own... this one especially. So, naturally, I had horrible dreams last night... just horrible. I won't go into detail, since I don't remember all of it...

but, all I know is I could really use an email, or better yet, a phone call.

And so the waiting game continues.

3 comments:

mushroom said...

His love story with 'Wilson' that ball almost brought tears to my eyes ;-p

Anonymous said...

mushroom, it DID bring tears to my eyes, how pitiful am I?
Anyway, it's interesting how you turned that story into something so applicable to the plight of the army wife. It makes so much sense! Of course you had me tearing up with the whole single soldier thing. I mean what do they have to return to? An angry country who hates the war and the president that sent them over there, that's what. It must be so terrible for them to not have something positive to return to. I'll be praying for them, and you of course, to find peace.

Unknown said...

Oh Nessie. I didnt think to ask last night, if you had talked to him. I am sorry. Friday the 13th, here we go!!