Sunday, March 11, 2007

Neon Moon

It was years ago; I don't recall the exact date.
But, the Memory has never been faint.
I drove my grandfather home from the hospital were my grandmother was having back surgery.
We called her "Grams" or "Gramzee". She didn't like "Grandma". It made her feel old.
We called him "Papa"., though, I know not the reason.

We drove down old Route 66 towards "The Canyon" where Grams and Papa had built their home of 42 years.

The radio was just a whisper as we drove.
He pointed out speed limits as each sign passed.
Informed me of my exit... although I'd turned there hundreds of times.
He was a man of habit, and routine.
"Neon Moon" by Brooks & Dunn hit the FM waves.
Papa loved this song.
He cranked up the dial until it couldn't go any louder. It was deafening.
he leaned back...
the blue sky held his gaze, and he bobbed his head back and forth while tapping his Hands on his thighs...

This is just one memory. Many are running through all of our minds. A true Patriarch, he raised non-biological daughters, and grandchildren, but, he will always be our real father.

Early this morning, Papa passed. Peaceful, quiet, and surrounded by family at home. Circumstances couldn't have been better. No more memories are to be made, only recalled. So, tonight, we'll turn his "Party Lights" on, and worship the Neon Moon for Papa.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

oh Nessie I am sorry. I am sorry I got this late also. Call me if you need anything!!

Love, Me