Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I want a red blender?

Sacrifice comes from a Middle English word meaning "to make sacred". Traditionally, it has religious connotations. In Judaism, sacrifices typically consist of animals, grain or wine. They are thought to make one "closer to God." in Christianity, God became a man to become the sacrifice of the everlasting covenant, Jesus Christ. In some Christian religions, Mass is seen as a sacrifice (hence all the "morning" people in Catholic Mass, uh). Self-sacrifice... Martyrs. Sacrifice in Islam, a healthy animal is sacrificed in remembrance of a Prophet's own sacrifice, and to help the poor. The manner in which the animals are sacrificed is very specific, and must not be deviated from. Human sacrifice was practiced by many ancient cultures... and still could be hiding in the brush. The term sacrifice is also used metaphorically to describe selfless good deeds for others.

So, which category do I fall into? I've never been a religious person. I've been to Mass many times. I was married in a Catholic Church... born into a family of Jehovah Witnesses. I'm still unsure of all the practices I "witnessed". I am married to a man in the Army. The Military is widely praised for their duty, honor, and selfless acts for their country. Does an Army Wife meet such high expectation? I live, and will live, without my husband for 3 more months... this time. Next time, another year... next time, another year... maybe two, maybe six months... maybe no time at all. Do I "sacrifice"? Do I serve a greater good? That is certainly up for debate.

I am not worth glorification.


"Sacrifice" is a term used lightly... casually... random and mostly undeserved. I cannot assume to have a greater purpose than any other individual in this world... this sweet world, often taken for granted, and at face-value... look deeper... beyond the high rises, smog filled sky lines, gas-guzzling SUV's, plastic bodies, weight obsessed teenagers, selfish human beings, and material worth... look past it all and you will see what's been missed with each ellipses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think, you are serving a purpose misunderstood by most. Support for those who are "doing what they have to do" is priceless.
My husband knows a man who just came back from Iraq only to find that his wife was leaving him.
Your job, while unappreciated, even by you, is of the utmost importance.

essa said...

Make no mistake... I walk around with my head up... held there by the sense of Pride every Army Wife carries around. I APPRECIATE my "job". Do not mistake the fact that I don't want to "glorify" myself for doing something so simple, like keeping my vow, with underappreciation. Besides, his "job" is tougher, and deserves more appreciation.