Tuesday, July 04, 2006

I love this melting pot

This 4th of July I find myself more thankful I live in the United States of America than in previous years. Maybe it's because I am aware now of the many sacrifices made by people in our country (not just military), or because with age I've gained respect, appreciation, and knowledge. Mostly, I think, it's because my husband takes his job so seriously, and I'm very proud of him. I've never known a man (or woman) who respected his/her position in society more than Matthew. It's probably why, after our first date, I said to my mom, "I'm going to marry him." I must confess I also feel a sense of pride as I wait here at home for him. Each week I pack up a box full of junk and goodies to send off to him... letters twice a week, and a phone call three times a month. I feel my own independence more than ever. It's nice to know you can live without someone, but choose otherwise.
Have a great Independence Day.

INSIDE A SOLDIER

Inside a soldier
There's a soul that keeps living,
A bravery that never quits,
A madness that is never shown.

Inside a soldier,
There's something that never quits,
A country to risk,
And a hope it will end.

Inside a soldier,
There is something that makes it worth while,
Something that makes them able to do more than others,
Work harder than others,
A flame that shines just a little brighter,
A flame that never goes out.

Inside a soldier,
There is a thump,
That constantly beats,
And the sound it makes,
Isn't only a thump,
It means a life,
It means a hero.

Molly Knowles (age 11)

3 comments:

mushroom said...

He looks so handsome in the uniform.

Regardless of what people's stances are on the war, I hope all the boys serving overseas come home safe to their families.

essa said...

and gals*

Why thank you... he is very handsome. I had a dream last night that I had to share him! I watched too much Big Love.

mushroom said...

Oh yeah *embarassed* and those lovely uniformed gals hubba hubba.